Today in Guangzhou, China, the three other families from our agency met us at our hotel to walk one block to the medical clinic where all of our kids were required to get medical exams for purposes of U.S. visa's to be issued to allow them to immigrate to the U.S. as new citizens. There was a room with a label that read, "Medical Exams for Adopted Children" where we waited briefly before proceeding to three exam stations, vital statistics, ENT and medical-surgical. Our very experienced guide, Molly suggested we go early to avoid the crowds, and she pegged it right as when we were done, the rooms were filled with adoptive parents and children.
For Ahn-Bao, we first saw a doctor (he had a white coat and a stethoscope) in the medical-surgical room. He listened to his heart and chest, briefly examined him and asked if he had a cough. Apparently, he heard some congestion in Ahn-Bao's chest which after a few questions with Molly, our guide interpreting, he diagnosed a chest infection and suggested I give him medicine for it, which I assured him I had. I didn't have a lot of confidence in his diagnosis because Ahn-Bao does have a cough but no fever or other symptoms, so we'll watch him carefully. I can't wait to get him back home and have him in the capable hands of Dr. Y, our pediatrician.
They then weighed and measured him, but I didn't get the details on this as everyone only spoke Chinese and they didn't seem concerned about sharing information with the parents, only filling out the forms for U.S. immigration purposes. He also had his hearing checked (by squeaking a toy off to one side and then playing a musical noise to the other ear and watching him turn his head). They also took his temperature, which he was not fond of, but they did not share any details of this either. They looked in his ears and the medical professional did assure me that he didn't have any infection. This is reassuring for purposes of flying again in a few days.
With the form complete, we were finished and we are pretty sure Ahn-Bao passed all the tests. We are one step closer to going home.

No comments:
Post a Comment